Capital Bikeshare is the bikeshare system for the Greater Washington, D.C. Metro Area. With over 700 stations and 6,000 bikes, students can ride to classes or for pleasure. Capital Bikeshare’s University Membership Program provides annual memberships to Virginia Tech students for just $25.
Annual memberships include unlimited rides under 45 minutes on classic bikes (longer rides incur usage fees). E-Bikes are available for $0.10/minute and can be locked to regular bike racks for $2. See Capital Bikeshare's annual memberships webpage for more details.
How to enroll
- Go to Capital Bikeshare's website and click Log in or Join. If you already have a Lyft or Capital Bikeshare account, log in using that account
- Under Annual Membership, click Join and Save.
- Click Enter promo code.
- Enter promo code vtech4924va and click Done.
- Enter your Virginia Tech email address and click Verify.
- Capital Bikeshare will send you an email to complete verification.
- Once complete, you’ll see the discounted membership price. Finish checking out.
How to ride
- Download the Capital Bikeshare App to unlock a bike, or use your Capital Bikeshare key (which will be mailed to you).
- Return the bike to any Capital Bikeshare station and dock it to complete your trip.
- A green light appears on the dock when the bike is securely properly.