All bicycles regularly parked on campus must be registered with Transportation Services. Failure to register a bicycle can result in fines or impoundment of the bicycle.
Registration is FREE and can be accessed through the Parking Services portal (video and instructions below). After registering, bicyclists will receive their decal in the mail. Once the decal is received, place it on the bicycle frame, facing upward, near the handlebars.
The decals expire, so you'll need to reregister your bicycle once the expiration date passes.
Benefits of Registering Your Bicycle
If your bike is stolen, its serial number is needed to aid police in its recovery. When a bike is registered with Virginia Tech, the serial number can be cross-referenced with the bike owner’s name, and acts as an independent proof of ownership. Recovered bicycles that are not registered have less chance of being returned to their rightful owners, since proof of ownership is often more difficult.
Thieves may be less likely to steal a bike with a registration sticker since its owner can easily be identified. Stolen registered bicycles are posted on both statewide and nationwide crime computers.
Communicating with Bicycle Owners:
Bicycle registration serves as the only form of communication should we need to inform you that your bicycle needs to be moved from a rack that will be relocated.
Video on how to register and securely lock your bike
- Access registration through the Parking Services portal.
- After logging in, hover over "Permits" in the top navigation, and select "Get Permits".
- Select "Bike Web" from permit purchasing options, then click "Next".
- Select "Add Bicycle".
- Complete the registration form.
- The "Serial Number" field should be filled with the correct serial number on the bicycle being registered.
- After clicking "Next," select the bicycle just entered, then click "Next."
- Select a delivery option.
- If entering a dorm address, make sure a room number is included.
- Select an email address to send status updates.
- A primary email address must be registered with Transportation Services in order to be selected.
- Click "Next".
- Click "Pay Now." The checkout will not ask for payment information or proceed with charges.